Sunday, October 9, 2016

Re-learning FMQ

  We stopped by the quilt shop where I had taught FMQ.  I wanted to apologize for leaving them in the lurch when I got sick.  They had been updated by Susan, or "Sarge" as sir Old Man calls her, and knew what was going on.  Marietta said, "2017......go home and practice".   So I took her at her word, and gave Hot Legs, my Tiara, my attention today.

  I had this table runner ready to stitch.  Just like I teach in my classes, start with the basics.  It got a medium meander stitch through the center.   Finding my rhythm and coordinated movement for the meander was not bad.....the first section looks a bit jerky, but is passable.  Then I just did some outline stitching around the plumes.  Not in total control in the beginning, but better as I stitched.
  While I would love to do feathers in the border, I will simply progress to the next motif in my classes----the meander with loops.  Again that one has a rhythm I need to practice.   The teacher did not think she would have to re-learn to do free motion quilting.




   I put together a modified machine cover and sewing mat for my featherweight.
 Sir Old Man's worn out/used up (he thought) denim shirt provided the  base fabric....recycled to live another day.  A few scraps, and a leftover 9 patch make up the attached pockets.   I did straight stitching on this for the quilting.  Putting on the binding was good therapy---and practice.

  Just finishing a quick project felt good, even if it took me most of the day yesterday.    I fight every day to learn/re-learn skills I had.
 I fight today to live to fight another day.  I am refusing to quit trying.....even in PT.   The current challenge is to be able to stand on one leg, with eyes open and eyes closed.   Thursday was rough.  After almost getting sick  standing on the left leg with eyes closed, the therapist said we would not do the right leg.  Oh, yes, we will......I stood up and said hang on to me.  It was not pretty but I managed 30 seconds.
   Happy stitching.

17 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice runner, and great mat. All of your hard work is paying off. Keep it all up. You'll find your new normal soon this way. Too bad you aren't closer. I took FM classes over a decade ago, but, it didn't take. I need to try it again one day.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, the good thing about being a teacher is that you know the mechanics and the steps to proficiency. You also know how to help difficulties as you dealt with students' ones. So, your brain know what to do, you just have to make the body do it. I suppose it is very hard to know when to push harder and when to rest. It is so good that your attitude is willing to move ahead and not be stuck in mourning for what was.

Gene Black said...

Way to go! I am so proud of you for doing the right leg stand anyway. Your determination will pay off in the long run.

Mary said...

Your determination is is a much needed lesson for us all. I practice standing on one leg because I was told it builds strength as well as improves balance; but I can only do it with my eyes open. I love the way you used your hubby's denim shirt.

Ray and Jeanne said...

You are making progress and that is what matters! So glad you know the steps to learning fmq - this time you are the student and the teacher. I'm positive you'll get those skills back. Keep working - I'm sure you have more progress in front of you. And good luck with the balance - that is still something I struggle with but keep working on. Enjoy today. ~Jeanne

RoseofSharonStudio said...

Wow! What an inspiration you are to all of us! Keep fighting the good fight. You are doing fabulous! And continue doing what you love that is the best PT of all. Hugs and prayers, Sharon

Robby said...

I so admire your determination and strength. The good news is that muscle memory is in there and your skills for FMQ will return faster than you developed them. Just keep giving them a chance to find their way back to your hands.

Lindafromnm said...

Debbie, what an inspiration you are to me and others. I was in an accident two months ago and face daily challenges. Reading your blog gives me strength and courage. I haven't been able to attempt any sewing yet but can't wait for the day when I can stitch again. Thanks for showing us your progress.

Janet O. said...

Oh, Debbie, I am cheering you on!! I am so moved by your courage and determination. That is what it takes to get over the hurdles life has put in your way. You will do it--I KNOW you will!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations my dear - progress and little steps all work together. Going back to being the student is something we should all do - beginnings.

Patty said...

Good news! Keep up the good work. Nice little project. Think I'll use your idea and make one also.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh good for you - progress is being made!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Standing on one leg with eyes closed is a challenge for most people that don't have any problems. I'm surprised that is part of the routine. Good for you for pushing it though. That lets them know you are really determined and they better do their part well.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Liking the progress! You're attitude is so great; keep at it! :o)

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Liking the progress! You're attitude is so great; keep at it! :o)

allthingzsewn said...

I'm so proud for you. Still praying and will continue till your back to where you need to be.

Jasmine said...

I'm so glad you are able to get back to quilting. Re-learning must be frustrating, but also rewarding. Take care!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...