Saturday, January 30, 2016

Circles for January

  Before I get to the circles.....can you tell me why a company would make a double wall oven with self cleaning only on the top one?   That makes no sense at all.  Are you going to only bake/cook in one of them?  Both ovens need to be cleaned.   I mainly use the lower oven for reheating or baked goods....to avoid spills and splatters there.    I am sure the companies have a conspiracy of a sort to annoy me about this!
  Thursday I spent most of the day with my head in the lower oven, trying to make it presentable.  I am allergic to most cleaners, so I did the baking soda scrub.  Then I set the top one to self clean while I cleaned out the cabinet under the sink. and did laundry, and a few other chores that I had neglected for too long.    A quick trip to Walmart for new silicon oven liners and I am ready to mess them up again.    Still annoyed, but I have clean ovens.


 Are you making circles?

   This month I missed a couple of days.....as life got in the way....... doctor's visits,  oven cleaning, and a call at 8 am to say your  credit card has been hacked.  You know those kind of challenges that over take you.

   Most days, the circle is the first thing I do in the sewing room.     Finding fabric that holds a memory,  or just jumps up and says "use me",  is a nice start to say the least.  Be sure to note the black and cream stripe on the end of the second row.  This one is the found fabric like Sir Old Man's shirt.....Bonnie Hunter did not get it after all!  I found carpenter tool fabric,   a red hat...that I had to put on purple, and blue sky fabric.

   I am waiting before I begin any joining of rows or sections.    Just following my gut instinct that I need to wait for more variety / additional inspiration for the layout.   I am not sure how big I want this to be....or should I make two throw size?   So for now, I will add these to the box of circles and think about next month.

  It's not too late to begin your circle project.....linking to Quilty 365 at Quilty folk blog.  

20 comments:

Createology said...

Crazy about the "self-cleaning" ovens. Kind of like my kitchen faucet that only sprays if you hold the button down...kind of defeats the purpose. Now I am seeing how wonderful your circles of life are in this project. What a great way to enjoy memories. Sew much Creative Bliss...

Quilting Babcia said...

What wonderful variety in your circles, bright and cheerful.

Wonky Girl said...

I sure enjoy checking in to see your circles. I like the little stories of the special ones today.
Be careful with those oven cleaning positions. I once contorted too much and ripped something in my knee. That was way back before endoscopic microsurgery so I was in a cast for thee months.

Robby said...

I am sure the man that decided only the top oven needed to be self-cleaning because "the little lady couldn't really crawl in an oven that high, but down here she sure can". If I rule the world people that design things will have to use them or live with them for at least a year before they are allowed to turn them loose on the public. So many design fails that a user can spot immediately.

Mary said...

What a nice selection of circles! You're doing great!

allthingzsewn said...

I agree with you about the ovens but I still had to laugh. I'll bet there was no one left in that kitchen but you. Circles are looking good. I skipped this one. Too much on my plate now and not good at circles.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The self cleaning on my oven never worked correctly so it was always a 'crawl into the cave' method of cleaning. Love seeing all your circles together - lovely mix.

Janet O. said...

I didn't know there were any ovens made these days that are not self cleaning. Crazy!
Waiting to join them up is what I would do, too. I am always afraid of putting things together before I have everything finished and arranged the way I want them. : )

Béa said...

Your circles look very good. I make the choice to sew them in order, even if it seems not to match...and QAYG in sets of 7 x 9 blocks because one block a day will make a very large quilt...

Béa said...

Your circles look very good. I make the choice to sew them in order, even if it seems not to match...and QAYG in sets of 7 x 9 blocks because one block a day will make a very large quilt...

Dana Gaffney said...

That's just crazy with your oven, the lower one is the hardest one for me, now I need to look into those oven liners you mentioned. The circles are looking good and I would wait too, with the different sizes I think you'll want to see them all first.

MissPat said...

Your circles have so much character. I skipped this one as I knew I would never be able to keep up.

Terry said...

So fresh looking, I love your circles. I'm with you, I'll wait for the layout and see what happens. Cleaning ovens is a drudge!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am making circles too and enjoying it and looking at everyone else's work - love yours

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I've never cleaned my oven. I guess that says a lot about how I cook (or rather don't cook!). I clean the microwave a lot. I love your circles!

audrey said...

I love those fabrics that want us to use them in a circle. Makes the whole decision so much faster when the fabric is demanding! Interesting to know that about a double wall oven. I've been wanting my husband to install one for years!

Angie said...

Fun fabrics - your approach to choosing each day's fabric is very much like mine!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am planning on a lap size (6 months of circles) -- our new oven prohibits liners or foil. So far it is staying pretty clean (fingers crossed that nothing bubbles over this week).

Maryse said...

Nice work, it's looking good!!

Frieda said...

Usually the reason for the bottom oven not being self cleaning is so that it can be bigger inside. The self cleaning aspect takes up room inside the oven. My old house built in the seventies had them this way. The bottom oven could be used for cooking larger items.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...