Saturday, January 16, 2016

After some cutting

    After some cutting I have empty containers to show for it!  Actually, I emptied 8 different boxes and bins, etc.  They each had leftover hunks and strips from finished projects that never got sorted or put away.....just stacked on the floor.
  Benefit is clear floor space and a couple of boxes to toss.





   New storage boxes hold my precut squares that I use for water color quilts.  They stay much neater this way and are easier to access being stored in the cutting table.  Found in the fishing tackle department at big box stores.   Thanks to Elizabeth for the idea!






 
    With that switch, the stackable drawer sets were empty.  I simply added some dividers---taped in place for now.   I labeled the drawers with sizes.....ala Bonnie Hunter's scrap users system.    Easy to sort, fill and then use!

  One thing I discovered was I had tons of 3'' strips and 4'' strips in the leftover from projects.  Why?  It ddawned on me that is usually the size I cut for border pieces.....and the leftovers were rarely used.  (Those sizes are not in Bonnie's system as they don't often play well with the usual sizes in blocks.)
So note to self-----Cut border strips at 3 1/2'' or 4 1/2'' from now on!



    This is a giggle.......remember that I mentioned Bonnie was eyeing my husband's shirt for a quilt.
I found this 4 '' square in one of the bins.   It is almost identical to his shirt!  I have no idea where I got it, but rest assured I did not touch his shirt.  But I think I will turn it into a circle.








  More circles this week.  I was surprised by the variety of 4 1/2'' background squares that I found in the sorting process......as well as some cuts to make into circles.
   I really do like the different sizes mixed together.  I am not even trying to center the smaller ones, so the off set positions are intentional :)

   Next week's calendar is extremely full, so I am glad I made some headway this week.  I pieced backing and batting for a Habitat quilt that I volunteered to quilt.  So pinning is on my afternoon agenda.  Btw....did anyone win the lottery?  Think of all the fabric you could stash away....lol.
Happy stitchin.

7 comments:

Mary said...

You are getting so organized! Way to go!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great reorganization going on. Remember, BH's system is a guide - adjust to what works for you and your style. I see 3" and 4" great for HSTs (2.5 and 3.5) but I don't cut these sizes either. I haven't stitched this weeks circles, but they are prepped each day - hope to stitch them all down tomorrow.

Createology said...

Kudos to you for all your organizing of fabric scraps. I use those see through plastic boxes for lots of supplies and they work really well. Still enjoying your circles of Creative Bliss...

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, that's great work! Everytime I try cutting mine down to organize I worry that I want to keep them big. Maybe someday I'll organize meanwhile I'll cheer you on.

Janet O. said...

Maybe you should hire out as a stash organizer. I know I could use you! : )
I like the offset circles. More visual interest.

Gene Black said...

You could cut the 4" strips into 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 pieces. :) And of course the 3" pieces in half for more 1 1/2" pieces.

Barbara said...

I have a friend who swears by that method of organization. I'm afraid I'm more of a stuffer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...