Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Orange Peel ----some details

 I am working one the Orange Peel blocks in an off and on  tempo.  The steps get tedious, so I am just working a few at a time.   Here are 4 I completed.....all light value.  Along the way in this process, I realized I was doing a couple of things that I had not mentioned in my previous post.

  Thus for the record, here are some details.









  • Trace pattern on to the fusible interfacing onto the non-bumpy side.  
  • My fabric is cut into hunks....not cut out by pattern.  The interfacing is placed bumpy side down onto the right side of the fabric. 
  • Stitch completely around the drawn pattern.  Use a very tiney stitch length....I am using a 1.8 length.
  • Trim away the excess.  I am leaving about 1/4 seam allowance on the sides/curves.  At the point I am trimming very close....1/8'' probably.  
  • Cut slit in the interfacing for turning.  Carefully turn right side out.
  • Smooth the side curves with finger or  "the purple thing" tool---my choice.  Gently poke out the ends with the tip of the tool.  I found that if I carefully kept the purple tool  against the fabric (not the interfacing) I could nudge it out better.  Note here:  You might have to use a pin at the point to get it pulled out.
  • Turn the peel over and finger press....or use the wood clapper to flatten!
  • Fuse peel to background and stitch in place.




  I did a finger press to establish the diagonal line on the background fabric ---4 1/2" squares--- before fusing the peel in place.   I am using a buttonhole stitch with a deeper bite/wider width and a shorter stitch length than the factory settings.  My width is 2.5 and length is 3.5.  Slow sewing, especially at the tips!




Sir Old Man has been in the workshop for a whole week.....and I have been summoned for a preview.  It's windy and raining and cold......off to grab a jacket and galoshes....lol.  Got to see what is happening there.  Then I will get the soup on for dinner tonight.   And I will add a couple of slices of bacon for flavor, no matter what the world powers think!   :)  Happy stitching. 

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've used this method on projects, too. You have a good start to your project.

Mary said...

These are looking great. I know from watching my friend do a similar project that there is a lot more work to doing it than you would think.

Dana Gaffney said...

I can see where it would get tedious after a while, but it will be worth it in the end.

Janet O. said...

I have to break up tedious tasks into little chunks, too.
Wonder what is brewing in the workshop? : )

liniecat said...

Wondered how you achieved such a great finish, must try this pattern and technique, thanks for the tip !

Quilting Babcia said...

This looks like a great (if a bit tedious) way to get those melon shapes to stay put while you're sewing them to the background fabric. Wondering if the finished blocks will drape softly or will this end up being a wall hanging or runner?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...