Thursday, April 30, 2015

Progress in the workshop

  There is progress in the workshop on the bed---ala Sir Old Man's handy workmanship.  Want to see the pieces?

Bed rails, and slats, and foot board/head board top pieces.......one coat of finish applied and sanded in.  This is labor intensive but in the end, it will be so worth it!


  And the legs....can't forget the legs.  Aren't they beautiful?  You can see the mortise cuts into the side of the leg.  Now ask me how much the chisel set cost to make those cuts.  **grin**  Let's just say, as much as a lot of fabric.

  This photo is truer to the color so far.  Each coat adds depth and patina to the wood.  Can you tell I am excited.....believe I am.    Hopefully the weather will stay beautiful so another coat can be added, as it requires a couple of days to dry between each one.  


  Sir Old Man put the drying time to use on a small project.   A small box....not really that small.  The front piece was a section of maple from the bed that was unusable for the sections because of the knot.    Yet, it is perfect here as an artistic statement.  Waste not wood, or fabric!


Note the inset accent pieces of each corner.  Don't ask me how he did that....it looks great.  You must press one end to open and lift the lid out.  

The grain in the top is  amazing.  A couple more coats of finish and it will be so beautiful.   There is more to this box than meets the eye, but I will wait to share that when it is completed.  
  Off to make more saw dust......happy stitching.

8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is beautiful wood!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have a fascination and appreciation of wood too - my Dad was a master wood craftsman. Love the bed and the box.

Terri said...

So beautiful. He is a talented man... You two were made for each other.
Hugs

Mary said...

Your hubby is so very talented!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a glorious box, love the two woods and the grain on the top of the box is amazing.
The piece of maple at the front with the knot is just wonderful, clever hubby!!

Nicki said...

The bed is coming along beautifully & the little box is a real treasure. I've run out of vocabulary to let you know how awesomely talented I think your DH is. Makes me wish I'd taken up woodwork instead of quilting when I see his work. But then when I see your quilting it makes me glad I took to quilting. :) hehehehe

Dana Gaffney said...

It's beautiful, all of that sanding and the wood looks like satin, so smooth. I'm glad he didn't waste that wood, the box is beautiful!

Janet O. said...

Oh, so gorgeous! I love wood furniture, boxes, bowls--you name it. And I love staining wood. Beautiful bed, and I love the grain on the box lid!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...