Friday, January 10, 2014

Simple borders

   I was stash shopping for a fabric to border the floral strings.  And a pleasant surprise happened.  I  found a beautiful blue to compliment one of the faux braid tops I have waiting in the wings.  I think I purchased this originally for a backing, but never used it.
   So a very simple border to this braid.  I cut the full width cuts of the blue into half lengths and joined them with some leftover pieces that I used in the braid.  I don't really plan this type of border, but let it just happen.  I do not miter the corners either.  Keeping it simple.






The color in this photo is rather washed out.....the first photo is truer for color.  As I was adding the strips to the top, I realized I had a creation that resembled the view out my window.....Frosty Morn.  It has the blue of the sky, the darker bare branches with lots of shadows,  and the frost on the windows and roofs.


   


  The floral strings got a double border.  A  darker 2 inch inner border and a tonal neutral for the outer border.  I used the same joining technique for the outer border,  using  leftover fabric bands of floral fabrics between sections.  The tonal border will give me a good place for some quilting that will show.
   And this one got a name too....since it was about 12 degrees outside that morning, I was longing for warmer days and flowers.  I'll call this one, Mid-winter Dreams.

    I thought the comparison was a good lesson. Two very different style tops with the same simple border can work.  The joining strips just add a bit of interest I think.
  These two are now official UFOs.....I am not sure when they will get quilted.   That means I started the year breaking my "rules"......guess that means only small projects until I get caught up.  Or I throw those guidelines out the window.
Happy stitching.


  

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Haha! I vote for throwing those guidelines out the window! It's important to create when the mood or mojo strikes, I always say. I love your Winter Morn. When I first saw it I thought, "a snowy mountainside". It's beautiful! As is Mid-winter dreams.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, my how great these borders look and so different with the two quilts. I will have to try this in the future. Days are getting longer (slowly).

Michele T said...

Beautiful quilts and the borders are perfect!!! Thanks for a great idea.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Both beautiful but my snow-loving heart is drawn to Frosty Morn. Love it! I really want to do a wintery quilt in whites and blues soon.

Lynne said...

Beautiful quilts, lovely border treatment. I wouldn't have thought of it but I'd like to add the idea to my repertoire!

Nicki said...

Don't you just love it when something comes together so perfectly like that border fabric for Frosty Morn? That quilt is so easy on the eyes. I love your little inserts in the borders of both quilts. There you go again with those "out of the box" techniques. I love both quilts. I say throw those rules out the window & make it a "do-it to-it when you want & can" type of year. ;)

Dana Gaffney said...

They are perfect, I can't decide which I like better. Guidelines? I know you know better than that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...