Sunday, January 8, 2012

Calendar / Journal cover

  I wanted a fabric cover (I really hate those plastic ones)  for my small calendar that I carry in my purse.  And there are lots of tutorials for journal covers.   The part I hate is turning the whole thing inside out and then closing off the hole used  for turning.  Mine seems to always look uneven and wavy.  And then the batting in the flap areas create too much bulk.  So I looked for an easier way to finish it off.  

  I measured the cover to determine the size of the piecing for the cover and added 1/4" to that measurement to allow for some ease for turning.  To each end I added wide strips that would become the end flap.  I made these about 4" wide and hemmed the outer edge. *Note: the end flaps will end up about 2" in the finished project.  The flaps have no batting--just 2 layers of fabric---to reduce bulk.
On the back side I pinned a piece of batting cut to the exact size of the cover.  Mine was 7 1/2" by 8".   The end flaps will not have batting between the 2 layers of fabric.    Then do a little quilting to hold the batting in place...this is a good place to practice some  free motion  quilting, or straight lines even.

   Now to put it together.....quilted cover is face up.  One one end, fold the end flap extension wrong sides together and bring the edge that is hemmed to meet the side seam of the pieced cover.   Now fold  the folded end flap towards  the center of the cover ---right side to right side of fabric.  Cut a piece of lining fabric to the exact of the cover unit you created.  Place lining fabric right side to the cover right side.  Pin at the top and bottom.
  You have created the sandwich of quilted cover with the end flaps folded to the center, and topped with the lining fabric.  Now turn this sandwich over, pin if needed to hold it all in place. 

Almost done....just 2 seams to stitch.  Stitch along the top and bottom of the sandwich you created.  Stitch 1/4" from the edge.  The batting will not be caught in the seam.....it won't matter because it is already quilted.
Slide your hand between the lining fabric and the cover from one of the open ends.
Now turn the whole thing inside out.
Press.  Once turned inside out, this is what you see.  

Now turn the end flaps back towards the lining.  Done! 
 The lining ends are hidden and no opening to finish off, or bulk in the seam lines to trim away.


Add a closure if desired.  I just stitched an elastic hair band to the back edge at the center point.  When closed the band can be easily stretched over the cover to hold it closed.  A ribbon and button could be used, too.  Add calendar---got to keep all those doctors appointments, exams, and meeting times straight---and a small notepad in the back, if desired.
  Journal covers can be done the same way, just be sure to measure the journal and add about 1/4" for ease to your measurement.  A great waste not, use up the small scraps project.  Actually, these would make great gifts and stocking stuffers for next Christmas.  Got to add these to my gift list.
Happy stitching.



5 comments:

Terri said...

Niiiiice! What good timing you have. I'm just now getting to making a HP block into a journal cover. Thank you for the tut. I hate the hand stitching part, too.
Hugs!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Yay! Another scrappy project! It seems as if everyone has the same mind these days. Cute!

Mary said...

Don't you love simple, quick projects that create something truly useful! Thanks for the tutorial.

Nicki said...

That's a nice caledar cover. I've made several journal covers & the first one I made fit perfect until I washed it. YIKES! It shrunk some & was too small to get back on to the journal....lessons learned!

Sheila said...

I like your tutorial, Debbie! I have been trying to use scraps to cover note pads, one each month this year, in a Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Making it up as I go. The two I made was a struggle. I'm going to try your idea next month. Thank you : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...