Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick project

  I'm ready to quilt Summer of Love, or I thought I was until I read a post on Borderline quilter.  Kay does beautiful quilting and she showed a quilt that was transformed from simple and plain to amazing.  The quilting blended and softened the blocks.  Hmmm....I need to re-think how I am going to quilt  this, afterall.  So,  I side tracked to do something simple and easy and let the quilting thoughts simmer.
 Here's what I started with:  more batik strings and strips like I used for the table runner. 

Placemats----Ingredients required:
Strips, strings, or scraps of your choice
batting cut to size--12" by 17"
fabric for backing--approximately 12 1/2" by 18"

Once I had pieced large sections of strings together, I used the batting as a foundation to sew and flip the sections together. 

I cut the batting about 1/2" smaller  overall  in each direction....that way I don't have to trim it ot of the seam after sewing.  Stitch around all sides, leaving a 3 inch opening for turning.   I also leave the backing fabric larger and trim down after sewing.  After pressing, I straight stitch around all four sides about 1/4" from the edge, then I free motion quilt.  Done!





    Strings are so easy.  I do love quick and easy.  There may be a string quilt--or two-- in my future.  That is, after I get the big yellow one quilted!
Happy stitching.

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Isn't it great how we all learn from and inspire each other?

Karen said...

For something so quick and easy they look stunning. Love the colours you have used. I followed the link you had and looked at Borderline Quilter. I must agree with you about thinking more carefully in regards to the difference the quilting can make. Very appropriate.

Chell said...

Looks great and what a nice change from all the huge quilt projects...I may need to thing about it...I spend a lot of time working on "Big" projects and quilting for others!

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. I love the way your placemats turned out.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

2011....isn't it great to rejuvinate an old post. I hope more stop by to see your tutorial. LOVE your use of purple/blue batiks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...