Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Waste not scrap quilt

   I started this scrap project to use up strips  in January.  It was kind of inspired by the 1600 jelly roll quilts I saw on line.  I figured I had plenty of strips already cut, so why buy a jelly roll.  I stuck with mainly blues and greens and just strung them together in long, long strips.  I decided to work with value---what a surprise---keeping the lights together in rows and darks in rows placed on the outside.    I just kept adding rows and sewing until I ran out of long enough strips.  This finished up 48 " by 68".
   Time to quilt it.....and get it finished. 

  I showed the quilting I used on the center in my last post.  When I got to the border, I used something different.  In the book, Freemotion Quilting by Judy Woodworth, I saw this variation on meandering.  She referred to it as echo meandering.  I like it and tried it here.  It gives a great texture that reminds me of tree bark.
  Binding.........I used up  almost  every short piece of blue that I had left over.  I probably used 15 different fabrics on the binding.    The entire quilt is a perfect  Waste Not project. 
  Happy stitching.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Very pretty.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is so pretty.....I like them a little more planned than the jelly roll race anyway.

Mary said...

It is a very pretty quilt and I appreciate the information about another reference on a freemotion quilting resource. Good stash buster too!

Pattilou said...

This is the best of any that I've seen and I think it's because of the way you've used your lights and darks. Very impressive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...