Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall is in the air!

Warm days and cool nights...love it!
This is Finally Fall made a few years ago.    I love to hang it in the kitchen at this time of year.  The pattern was from a magazine and I really liked the offset layout.  The background is pieced with a large pieces and then the pumpkins, apples and leaves are fused and stitched by machine.  I almost went crazy doing a nice edge to all the leaves.....today I probably would use more decorative stitches on the edges and leave some with frayed edges.  Styles change, but I still like the blended background and the rich fall colors. 
I think it is time to make some apple bread....that means a trip to Hendersonville for the very best apples.  And since there is a quilt show next weekend up there,  I think I can arrange a stop at the orchard, too.  Yep, Fall is in the air.

Eileen asked a question about fusing the batting together.
First, let me say that I use every scrap bit of batting I get in some way.  Batting is expensive and I piece it together like fabric....usually with a very wide, very long zig-zag stitch.   The small strips that are 3-4" wide can be joined for purses, totes, and small wall hangings.  Larger side strips and off cut hunks  are joined for lap quilts.  Some lap quilts might have 4 pieces of batting.  I am careful to use the same batting and join the same side up on all pieces.   Different battings will shrink  differently, or not at all, and some have scrim (that's another lesson there) to keep the fibers together. 
The new item I used is call heat press batting together.  It comes as a roll of fusible cloth tape about 1 1/2" wide of 10 yards.  Actually it is fusible tricot--garment sewers know it is a woven, stretchable interfacing.  It is easy to use, works well, easy to stitch thru, but is a bit pricey. 
Lay your batting edges together.  Press the tape over the two edges with a medium heated iron for about 10 seconds.  Edges joined!   Better than zig-zag stitching the edges....no humps or bumps to sew thru either. 
The fusible tricot comes in yardage at fabric stores...usually 20 inches wide for about $3...so cutting your own strips would be less costly.  You decide---quick and easy versus cost.  And thanks for the question, Eileen.

Happy stitching.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...