Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Binding with scraps Part II

This corner of Misty Window is a good example of mixed bindings. There are 3 pieces of different fabrics used on just this corner. All are dark in value and blend well. Note that the green piece was only about 18 inches long, but I used it anyway.
If I have 2 short pieces of the same fabric, I join them with a straight seam usually.  On this quilt I did use diagonal seams to join different pieces. 





This is a corner of My Carolina Fence quilt. On this one, I broke my general rule and went from dark strips to light strips.  I joined 3 or 4 darks strips in sequence and then switched to light to create enough binding.    The rail fence pattern is based on value of dark to light and the binding does the same. 




And one more approach I use in selecting bindings. I have done this in several watercolor wall hangings because of the design.   I carry the border value of the quilt to the binding. It sort of fools the eye to ignore the bound edge. In Fall to Winter, one side of the border is rust colored and the other sides are very dark batiks. So rather than bind the entire piece in dark batiks, I used the rust and reds to bind one side and the other sides are dark pieces. You can see how the color just extends to the edge and doesn't stop because of a dark binding. 



 Finally, Sussex is a small art quilt of photo blended with fabric.  I matched the binding to the fabric, changing from the sky to the purple heath at the bottom. 


I also do a quick finish on most of my bindings.  My quilts are meant to be used, washed, and enjoyed....not just shown.  So I rarely hand sew down a binding.....I top stitch.   First I fold down beginning end of the binding to create a 45 degree fold.  I fuse a small piece of steam a seam  or wonder under to the folded edge.  (This is the quickie way to finish off a binding---learned from Lynn Buske.)    I leave about 3 inches unsewn when I begin.  Binding is first sewn to the back of the quilt with a 3/8" seam, and corners are mitered.  Then the binding is folded over to the front of the quilt and the mitered corners are lightly pressed.  Then I top stitch along the edge, being sure to catch the mitered corner at the corner.  When I get to where the bindings should be joined, I tuck the  ending part (trimmed to fit)   of the binding inside the beginning fold.  Keeping it snug, I continue to stitch to where I began.   Back to the ironing board and a good press at the point of joining.....the fusible will do the hand work for me.   Done!

2 comments:

Deborah in Atlanta said...

I guess I'm a visual person. If you or Lynn Buske ever do a tutorial on the binding, I'd love to see it. dmj53(at)hotmail(dot)com

Debbie said...

Ok. I'll put together a tutorial on attaching binding...quick and easy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...