Friday, September 24, 2010

Oops...more fabric!

I thought I was de-stashing with the bow tie blocks.....I came home yesterday with 10 more yards of fabric!  Not purchased by me, but rather "donated" by a beautiful friend who is moving.  Thank you, Lynn, for your generosity and thinking of me and all my projects
It is very soft flannel and I rolled it onto  mini-bolts.  I have 2 projects in mind for it.  The first is to back the bow tie quilt, and second is for pillowcases for the Shriner's Children Hospital.  (The photo also shows one I made for Remy with the Clemson orange border.)
An added bonus:  Emily will get to practice her seams on the machine Lynn gave her and learn how to finish them off when she sews some of the pillowcases, too, next week.   Lynn's gifts get multiplied and spread to many other people.  That's what I call passing it on.

Basic recipe for the pillowcase:
Body is cut across the width of fabric at 25 inches.
Border is cut across the width of fabric at 11 inches.
Inset band is optional:  cut width of fabric at 1 inch, or 1 1/2 inches.  Or add ribbon or rick rack trim at the top stitching stage below. 

Border is folded in half and pressed to form 5 1/2 inch wide band.  Do the same for the inset band.
Lay body face up and match the raw edges of the inset band and the border piece to the top raw edge of the body piece. 
Stitch edge to edge using 1/2 inch seam.  Finish raw edges with a wide zig-zag stitch (or serge off the edge).
Press the inset strip and border away from the body.  Top stitch if desired along the seam.
Fold right sides together, matching the seam.  Stitch the side seam using 1/2 inch seam.  Then stitch  across the bottom.  Finish off the raw edges with a zig-zag stitch. 
Turn right side out and press. 

Quilt take-in day is tomorrow for the quilt show.  It is always fun to see all the entries ahead of time....but it is also a lot of work.   Thank goodness that Russ likes to help!
 I probably won't get back to the colorwash design for a couple of days :(    I need to de-stash a few more strips in different values anyway.  And the suggestion  from Cheryl to use some more red/rust in the lower corner is a good one, so I need to find some more of those colors.  Thanks for the suggestions. 
Fall into Fall Quilter Blog Giveaway starts October 1.  Click on the scarecrow pic to find out the details.
Happy stitching.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...