Sunday, April 4, 2010

I think it's Spring?

I think it's Spring, but the last 3 days have felt like Summer!  And to think that one month ago I was thinking the warmth would not arrive soon enough.   So it is time to change out my seasonal banner.  Here's the one  in watercolors for spring.
  I have started free motion quilting on the french braid in batiks.  I ordered the Isacord thread and decided it was time to get on with it.  I just kept putting off getting started because stitching on batiks using free motion can be very trying to my soul.   Why?   Batiks are usually a higher thread count and may have a residue of dye or wax left on the fabric (even after one washing).  All three can cause major friction on the thread as it goes in and out of the fabric.  The result can be tension problems and thread breaks that create lots of frustration for me.  
I am definitely a convert for free motion quilting with Isacord.  No thread breaks, or snaps or fraying, when  I do circles and change direction.  I am using  a 50 weight cotton bobbin thread, and the tension looks just fine, and a size 14 quilting needle.   So...back to stitching.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I love your watercolor project. Very pretty.

Thanks for the information about sewing with batik fabric. I did not know that but it certainly explains a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...