Monday, January 11, 2010

Off set Borders

Juanita's comment on yesterday's post lead me to review a couple of articles that  Ellen Lindner has on her website.  They are excellent and include lots of photos of her work and art quilts. 
I realized I didn't even mention borders for art quilts or wall hangings.  This is a photo of a favorite piece, The Dogwood,  that I do not have as it was donated to the Alzheimer's Association for auction.  It is only bordered on two sides, the bottom and the right side.  I love the asymmetrical effect and the way the flying geese anchor it.
 I also used the off set border in  Morning Brew, the second photo.  The background was pieced of scraps, and then I selected the border fabric.  I made the border 1/4 the size of the body of the wall hanging.  Still the width of the border in both are in proportion to the overall size,  and the color of  fabric used provide contrast  and unity.  
Like the old saying goes, "whatever makes you happy "....go with it.                         

1 comment:

Mary said...

I like your Morning Brew quilt, nice to see the scraps and applique work so well together- a fun quilt with the bold blue cups! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...